Did you know that of all home evasions, an estimated 70% happen through a door? Of course, this as opposed to any windows. That should tell you just how important it is to keep your doors and locks secure.
Of course, you want to keep windows safe and secure too. But making sure there’s no easy way for a burglar to get in through the doors is absolutely crucial.
So there are a few way you can be sure to make your house seem less appealing to potential threats, and then there are ways you can take that extra step and create additional security measures.
- The first thing you want to be sure of is that your doors are not easy to physically break. That means you probably want to seek out thick wooden doors, fiberglass or some sort of metal. Basically something that won’t be kicked into easily.
- Go with windowless doors. Especially don’t choose a door whose window is anywhere near the door handle. You don’t want to have a sturdy door that can still be broken into with ease because you chose aesthetics first.
- Put up blinds. There should never be a grand view into your home from the outside. And especially when you’re not home, you want to make sure the blinds are shut. When a burglar can see into your house so clearly, they immediately feel at home.
- Make sure you have a deadbolt. Other locks are far to easy to pick and/or bump. I remember when my 12 year old was able to get into our back door with my credit card when we were locked out. I fully realized from that point on just how crucial a deadbolt is.
- The jam or frame of your door is just as important as the rest. Again, having a sound door is nothing if your jam can be kicked in, practically taking the door with it.
- Avoid sliding doors if you can help it. If you do have a sliding door be sure it’s made with some sort of reinforced glass that is extremely difficult, if not impossible for most, to break. And of course, make sure you keep them locked and with a wooden dowel in between it and the jam.
- Last but not least, of course be sure you have an alarm system. And not only that, keep the sign or sticker out front that alerts people that you have such security measures. This will deter a burglar from your house over many other precautions.